Sunday, December 29, 2019

Ringing in the New

Last year I was abysmal at making the effort to sew. Lots of design ideas and fabric buying, but not much actual sewing. Lots of excuses, not many actual reasons.  This year, I am going to try HARDER.

Although I am not a fan of resolutions, last year I wanted to try something new as I vowed to make turning 50 into Fabulous. That led to Dragonboat on a rec team, then trying out for and then making it onto a competitive team. Since thatbworked out so well, I think Fabulous 50 deserves a Phase 2 - and that is where my sewing comes in.

I am going to make a minimum of one new garment a month, not repeating any patterns unless I do a redesign to the pattern. I am going to keep track of the Hot Patterns designs I use with the hashtag #HPHappiness2020.

Over the past years, it has become my tradition to spend New Year's Eve sewing something. I started early this year, as I have a goal of one new full outfit for work by Jan 6, maybe make this the start of a Christmas capsule? Which means RED!

Project #1 - HP 1239 Fast & Fabulous Beatnik Sweatshirt
I am tired of the standard hoodie/ sweatshirt. This seemed like a great way to update the standard sweater but with a retro flair. It reminds me of the outfit Audrey Hepburn wore in her movie "Charade". Here is the description from the website:

Loose-fit, pull-over, dolman sleeve
sweatshirt has a faced boat neck with
an optional banded collar, 3/4 length
sleeves & hi-lo hemline. Back has a 
center seam; your bust darts are
cleverly transformed into deep pleats
at the hem to create a cocoon shape. 
Hem & sleeves finish with facings.

A muslin will be needed as this is a relaxed fit which will mean I can go down in size. The Colman sleeve may be too generous of a slope for a busty gal like me, so that may need tweaking as well. The hemline shaping may need adjusting up to fit the hips.

The first attempt will be in a bamboo sweatshirting with faced neckline. Little stretch, so it will be best for the initial fitting. Final version will have the neck and be in a red boucle knit to make it suitable for the office.

My plan is to start with my base size 12, extending to a 14 in sleeve length. Will see how that works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.