Saturday, January 12, 2019

Sewing in the Sun 2019 - More about Muslins (Tummy Tamers)



Tummy Taming Trousers v.01
Pattern pieces - Size 18

What I was told to do
- cut in a woven fabric (prefereably muslin) and add 2" in width at the side seams only. Add invisible zip, stitch darts down, put fronts together, then backs, then stitch from crotch seam down for each leg, then pin/baste sides

What I did:
          • cut the pattern in a size 18
          • no alterations to the pattern
          • folded the waist facing down to better guage the waist placement
          • Did all the stitching as advised. 

Close up of waist facing folded down
Traced pattern - green original cut line; red 3" cut line

Observations:
Those are some very deep darts ... lots of shaping around the belly to be had there. Or not. Depending on if they are sewn on my body.

There is zipper extension at CB - this is important to notice as the instructions make the seam allowance here LARGER than the 3/8" stated. This provides more real estate for your zipper, which I like. I may enlarge it further in the final as I like facings.

LOVE the hip curve ... because well, I have some curve of my own. Thus the need to fit pants with help!  Take a look at the shaping on this puppy!  The stitch line shown is on the original cut line for the 18. The seam allowance is the recommended 2" for side seams only.

The instructions say to pin from the side as you should be able to reach and do this.  (Note to self - enroll in yoga classes as twisting and turning to see around the bustline is a laughable event, especially when wine was involved!)  I was not able to do this effectively, resulting in some bent pins as I tried to pin the waist/hip area. So I used a pencil to mark where the pins should be and then basted that way.

My intent was to stitch the pieces together so that all the seams were external.  But my brain did not send that memo to the hands that pinned and fed the fabric to the machine.  So the inseams and darts are inside and the side seams are outside on this version.

What the first muslin looks like (with the attempt at fitting the sides):


Here is the unaltered fit (again just the 2" on side seams) with a belt drawn on as I am adding belt loops on:



Again, the thigh work and we are also shortened the waist height a bit.  There is some reshaping over the CF seam and possibly the CB  as well.  Am cutting muslin 2 now.  Will post the after as well.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that your insanely muscular thighs presented problems of which the rest of us were completely devoid. Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting reveal to come, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.