Thursday, August 26, 2010

Photos!

So, the first shots are of the pre-challenge garments to show that I actually did sew something! The shots are not the best, but I can't find the tripod and the Pilot is already in bed for the night, so you have just me! SO, remember, the angle is wonky and the lighting not the best ...

First up is a redux of a DKNY shirt that I made into a knit top by leaving off the collar/band and the cuffs. I also shortened the sleeves. The pattern is an OOP Vogue DKNY 2742. It is a loose fitting knot front shirt. By using a smaller size and a knit I was able to use the Rayon knit in the stash quite nicely. I used a slightly lighter thread to have some visual interest in the hems.

Next up is the semi self drafted wrap dress.  I used a simple wrap style raglan sleeve top as a basis and then made the fronts a bit narrower.  The original pattern has the wrap stitched into the side seams.  The fabric is a pure poly silk weight knit bought years ago as part of a Fabricmart bundle.  As the neckline is a bit low, I threw together a quick tank from stashed Powerdry that happened to cllosely match the green in the print.  The side ties are temporary in brown bamboo.


Now, the homework assignment!  I wanted to make a bunch of nice knit tops that weren't T shirts when I bought a bunch of Sophia Knits from Ressy's coop a few years back.  It is lovely to sew with ... drapes beautifully, wears so soft and still holds it shape nicely.  Good thing I have more left!  I mentionned that I had ordered a number of new patterns from my fave indie pattern line, Hot Patterns.  I had been waiting for the right time, and August was it!  First off the block was a unique loop front view of the basic T.  The newer knot/loop combined with the lower necline and the French Dart on the side gives wodnerful shaping!  I made the top a little longer in the front to give that shirt shape to it.  Because I was shopping the stash, I did not have the match rib knit cuff called for.  I used a dark forest type green Sophia knit once again. Here is the link to the pattern: Hot Patterns 3 Graces T shirts.  Here is the top:

The lay of the neckline is not as smooth as I like in the shots, but that is due to me taking the photo and also to the height of the camera for the full body shot.  It really focuses on the lower body, so the perspective is off somewhat.  I will wear it to Darrell's and he can give his own opinion in person!  The unique loop treatment was a bit of a challenge to visualize as the pattern instructions are somewhat sparse (as is normal for HP; they assume a level of ability that allows for that).  My spatial sense did not allow me to picture it, but Trudy @ HP always thinks ahead.  She has done a number of You Tube videos showing construction and tips for her patterns.  Without that video, this could have been a UFO ... I must also add that the pinning of the loop and the darts was made much easier by pinning on the dress form.  Laying it on the flat table was a bit troublesome.

So, there you have it!  First installation of the actual sewing challenge is done!  Tomorrow Monkey girl is going to cut her pattern out (we are using a KS jean jacket) so that will be her first step in her project as well!  I am nervous and excited at the same time.  I am passing a skill on to my daughter that my mother and dear aunt passed on to me.  The challenge of doing it right makes me nervouse, the excitement comes from having something that we can share and that she will use for the rest of her life!  Watch out Darrell ... she may only be looking and fondling those samples now, but soon enough she will be buying it!  SEE YOU IN A WEEK, DARRELL!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, you did it. looks great. I guess I should tell you that all of the fabric in the store is on sale from Tues until the end of the month of September. It is our tenth anniversary and the sale will be HUGE!!! Temptation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lorna, I love your new tops! Beautiful fabrics and colors and I'm able to see the patterns' style lines. Thanks for the tips. Very helpful post. You look wonderful :) Now, time to shop more fabrics?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.