Sunday, December 10, 2006

Independance is worth it!

Even though I live in a national capital city, there aren't that many fabric stores. There are the usual Canadian chain stores (Fabricville and BouClair) and precious few indies. Darrell Thomas Textiles is one of those. His boutique is so cozy and full of fine fabrics ... and upstairs he is putting up some examples of garments made from his fabrics. After years of having people beg to purchase his samples, he is now producing items for sale as well. And his button wall, oh my! Lovely selection and his staff certainly know how to help pick buttons for your projects! I will get Darrell to order in some Italian shirting for me for the Vogue shirt. For that one, Darrell is going to help me with the fitting. I had registered and paid for a class in the fall that ended up getting cancelled, so we are going to use my credits up in custom fitting sessions for the Pilot's shirts. That way I know the fit will be right!

I am really lucky in having Darrell's little shop. While I cannot always afford the fabrics, nor would they suit my stay at home Mom lifestyle (I can't see me wearing a silk blouse to do housework or bake ... I don't live on Wisteria Lane!), I have bought some lovely wools there. I have a really nice wool sweater knit that I am fell in love with at first sight and had to have! When the ccredit card, agreed, it was a no brainer! Just the knowledge that if/when I need first hand advice or need a special piece of cloth for a garment, I can go to Darrell is so worth it! I make the trip downtown to buy good quality interfacing and linings now. I save the cahin store trips for kids wear and costumes now. I belive that I am turning into a fabric snob, although looking at my stash you might not believe it! Maybe a snob in transition?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.