Friday, November 10, 2006

"Threads" and altering pants

I received the latest issue of Threads this week. In it there is an article on how to adjust the back of pants that are baggy. http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/th_128_048.asp It speaks of how to alter pants that are already sewn or are RTW. I have a couple of pair that I Want to try this method out on. I'm going to post pix at all stages to see if this will really work as well as they say it does. Maybe I don't have to rush to cut out new pants after all ... this could be a way to salvage those pants that were "good enough" but that I couldn't fix.

In a nutshell, it says that you pin out the excess through those wodnerful fisheye darts and then transfer the excess out. Vertical darts go to the inseam and the horizontal ones go north to the waist seam. Query, does it matter which one you do first if you have to do both?

The two pair of pants I need to play with have different problems. The Jalie pant http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=13219 needs a horizontal dart to remove fullness there, but I knew that going in as I made these up just after a seminar with Peggy Sagers. I tried to see if the dart was necessary or not. Turns out it was. The other pair is a WOF pattern http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?ID=8602 that I think needs major work int he back in the line of both darts. I will let you know how this works ...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've decided to blog! Yay! On both pants, your derriere appears to be lower than the crotch curve. I bet if you gave yourself a severe wedgie alot of that excess fabric would disappear, try it and see then you'll know for sure. It's a very, very common alteration.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.