Friday, March 30, 2007

Why posture really does matter ...

The mess on the floor next to Mindy the dressform is actually a pile of rib knits and lining pieces that are destined for the new drawer unit that I purloined from Hamster Boy. He needed a new Lego box as his collection is fast outgrowing the drawers. So, he nicely offered to donate the drawers to the workshop if I would buy him a large and flat Rubbermaid. Who am I to turn that down? Now, to those pants ...

Why did these pants suddenly have so much more wrinkles in the photos then in the mirror? I know that there have been many almonds and some surgery under the belt between the last fitting session and this photo, but I am not liking these pants too much on screen. The pockets are gaping a bit as well, now that I look again. Taking digi photos of the "reverse" view was very humbling... where did that wonderful fit that I saw before go to? It took me about 4 shots before I figured it out.

When I started to re-jig the workshop, I bought some mirror tiles and placed them in the corner, giving me a more all around view when I fit. Better, but not perfect. I would need to change the angles I think to achieve what I really want. I made a discovery today ... When I fit using the mirrors, I must have shifted my posture to get the view of the back of my pants. When I take the pictures of the finished product, my posture is proper, so I discover more wrinkles that disappear only if I adopt a pose similar to that of Carol Burnett's secretary character, Mrs Wiggins! (I so wish I could find a screen shot of her walking, she is one of my all time fave Burnett characters!) This shift is most likely a result of my having to twist a bit to view the mirrors ... but definitely not how I normally stand or walk. So, I am posting these pants, wrinkles and all, knowing that my routine should now be tweak and click rather than tweak and twist! I know that if I lift these up at CB, a lot of those pesky wrinkles disappear but truth be told, I just don't want to have to rip out all that top stitching again! So, I am going to live with them and see if I like them better after a couple of weeks without almonds and lots of time on the Elliptical. Because right now, I am not too hot on doing any further pattern tweaking on these! I need a complete break from Dragons ... St George I am not!

Even though I said I was going to focus on the other projects in my family, I started a top the other night as I felt the need for a burst of speed sewing to improve my mood. I figure it was better than eating almonds ... So, I cut out the Butterick 4347 v. D in a nice poly knit crochet type fabric in a wine colour. I am going to underline it with a nice coral silkweight powerdry from the previous EFQ spellbinding. This project was perfect for me as I needed to think about layouts due to the knit being really narrow. I ended up piecing the crossover pieces at the underbust point. I am going to sew it up tomorrow morning. The Scouts are off to the Library tomorrow night, so no prep time for me for a change! That means I get to sew all week in the mornings! WOOHOO!! I promise to post updates ...

We are down to 88 days till the Pilot moves back home ... Hamster Boy is really bummed out tonight after saying good bye to Dad tonight. They had a great Boys' weekend while Monkey Girl and I went to a sleepover with her Beavers (this is what we call the youngest age grouping of Scouts up here in Canada) and then bought her a new bike. He misses his Dad so much ... Pilot didn't want to leave either. 4 more sleeps till he comes back for that long Easter weekend! We are so counting days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.