Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring Has Finally Sprung ...

We are back from Spring Break up here. The Pilot was home for half of it and then we joined him at "Hotel Daddy" for the other half of it. We played tourist with the kids and went to the CN Tower for a day. Hamster Boy and I watched as Pilot and Monkey Girl jumped on the glass floor, looking down to street level. You have to understand that this tower is 1,815 ft., 5 inches from the ground, so the prospect of looking straight down that amount did not appeal to my son and I, so we just stood and shook our heads. The glass elevator was enough for us, thank you!

We had great plans to do other things with the kids, including a huge indoor amusement park that was a great deal moneywise, but halfway there, Monkey Girl went very pale and started to cry. She had a head cold, but to make her ask to go back to the tiny suite that is Hotel Dad, she must have been feeling awful. So, back we went. Hamster Boy actually took this extremely well considering he was relatively healthy. I am really impressed with how he didn't melt down when told he was not going to Wizard World.

That night brought snow (just what a family who didn't pack boots needed) and earaches. A quick pharmacy run brought home lots of Advil and Triaminic for the kids and other stuff for the Pilot (How dare heget sick!). Every 3 hours we were woken up by her earache and tears. We managed through it for 36 hours before she couldn't handle it anymore. She had had a shower, you see (no tub in Hotel Daddy) and had tried to get the water out of her ear. I am sure the whole floor heard the scream! We found a clinic that took walk ins about 30 mins walk away. We got everybody dressed and headed out with Monkey Girl on the Pilot's shoulders. Now I am a fast walker. I had a old Sergeant who called me Paulette Bunyan on our route marches as I was the lead and nobody could keep up. But even at my best pace, I could not catch the Pilot. He was about a block ahead at all times. Parental adrenaline is something, isn't it?

The good news ending is that the fresh air seemed to help her out quite a bit as the pain went away and her nose started to drain big time. But the Doc still said the ear was quite red and gave her some antibiotics. We are not fans of antibiotics and ear infections in children as they become so immune, but I think that she had peeked and if she hadn't tried to get the water out on her own by hitting her head with her hand, she probably would have been OK. That and all that fresh air. But now that her body has done her part, we figured giving her some drugs would help speed things along. So, the rest of the week went nice and quiet in the big city. We spent lots of family time together drawing cartoons, watching cartoons and making Dad laugh. He and I actually got paperwork done as well. Less than 100 days left till he comes home for good. We are so happy about that ... it has been a long 8 months so far. But I have to keep in mind that I am blessed that he is not overseas like so many others I know. That too, shall come to pass, I am sure. I hope not yet, though ...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:18 am

    Ohhh poor Monkey girl! I'm glad your family was all together and that the infection quietened down and paperwork got done. I've been wondering where you all were :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.