Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Easter is Coming ...


Knowing that the weather is calling for double digit temps ABOVE ZERO (Celsius) tomorrow, my thoughts of sewing are running far and fast from the Cherry Blossom coat and thinking of Easter dresses. I love dresses but don't have much chance to wear them other than on Sundays and with Monkey Girl still in the wriggle on Mom's lap at Mass stage, they aren't always practical! So, my dress pattern selection is somewhat limited as I tend to be somewhat picky.

There is a lot of talk over at the Stitcher's Guild about the new batch of Hot Patterns. They are nice patterns, but I am in the minority in not being a fan of the styles. There is much too much gathering for my tastes. I prefer a more fitted look, I guess. Maybe this is due to over caution owing to my relatively substantial bust size. That tends to dominate my choice of patterns somewhat. While I am not plus size having a bra that is larger than a DDD (US sizing) with a smaller waist, makes them a bit, well, obvious. So, having all that fabric tends to make me think that they would look even larger. Even in my HP Patchoulli Dress, which called for underbust gathers, I used the optional darted bodice that Trudy so nicely thought to design and include in the pattern. So, do I remake the Patchoulli? I have a nice silk chiffon that would be beautiful in it, but I don't think that I have enough for the Bias skirt and the ruffles. That is out.

Option 2 is a Marfy pattern I fell in love with due to the waist detailing. It looks like it might be a challenge to sew, but to be honest, I have not even taken the pieces out to look at yet. It might be easy for all I know!

Option #2 is this Marfy pattern I fell in love with. If I use the silk chiffon (assuming I have enough) it will be quite flirty and will take me into the humid summers of Ontario. It would even do for the Pilot's Grad ceremony/garden party if I find the right hat to go with it. The only downside would be that the lovely darting would be lost in the floral design of the pattern. I need something that will travel and sit well. So, what to buy instead? I know I don't have anything else in the stash that would suit this pattern. I am not sure if I should buy until I try to fit the pattern. I think I will be safe and just get some muslin and go from there. But it sure is nice to be thinking of dresses ...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:40 am

    That is THE Marfy dress of my dreams...it would look so va-va-voom on you. Wish I was there to help with the fit! None-the-less, I'm jumping up and down and saying Go for the Marfy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorna,

    Wow! Very pretty dress! That will make a very special Easter dress--very unique!

    I mentioned your Lenten ideas on Lisa Laree's blog this morning--she is in the midst of creating an impressive collection of Bible customes for a series of church dramas.

    You might be intrigued to know that I took you up on your suggestion of doing something in the way of "giving for" Lent as opposed to "giving up" something. After thinking about it and looking around: Here is what I came up with: I have been systematically cleaning up litter in an area of our neighborhood that has been cluttered with debris for several years. The other day my son (14 years) helped me do one section--very satisfying project. Thanks for the great idea! What did you end up doing along this theme?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually do know how to spell costumes--not customes! Oh well, no way to edit once posted.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.